>  > >Anthony Kim continued,
>
>>  >Intersting thread. I didn't know cisco defined a small business so
>>  >strictly. Is that an exam question? :)
>>
>>  Historically, commercial data networking started with mainframes
>>  interconnected with leased lines.  These machines were either in
>>  large enterprises or in academic/research institutions.  SNA, for
>>  example, gave extensive operational control, and needed a
>  > considerable staff to support it.
>  >
>>  I've seen a market research report that said:
>>
>>       in 1982, 86% of networking customers could build and support their
>>                own networks
>>       in 1996, 14% of customers could do so.
>
>I really don't agree with these figures, but anyway...

While I haven't done quantitative surveys, this is consistent with my
experience.  There is a shortage of skilled people, with more need
for them (not necessarily saying that organizations will pay for
them).

Believe me, I am much happier to be more concerned these days with
ISPs and carriers, not SMB.

>SMBs go bankrupt with and without technology failure - I'd be interested
>to know if there were statistical correlation.

True statement, and I can't give you a correlation.

>Back to the point, is it so either/or? Is it so? SMB without support staff
>or SMB with support staff who are overpriced and underbusy? There's more
>going on in this sector than that, I think.

Very typical.   But the trend is certainly to have more predictable,
turnkey solutions**, not roll-your-own.  Inelegant but realistic, and
more predictable to a non-IT business

>It has been my experience with SMBs, they tend to manage on their own and
>prefer it that way. There will always be the clueless and the clued. Like
>the naked and the dead. But most businesses fall between half-dressed and
>mummified.

Well said.

-------

** it is my contention that vendors offer solvents, not solutions.  Only
    when the customer problem is dissolved do you have a solution.