On May 31,  7:43pm, anthony kim wrote:
} --- "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
} > >paper. The Small and Midsized Business market (SMB) almost always
} > can
} > >accomplish what they want with free Unix or Linux for layer 3 and
} > >cheap stackable switches with or without 802.1q support.
} > >
} > >So my obligatory cisco alternative:
} > >www.zebra.org
} >
} > And, in a non-information technology related SMB, who installs and
} > supports it?
}
}
} Good question.
}
} I think under 1,000 employees is reasonable for a mid-sized company.
} Less than 400 is a rough estimate for a small company. These

     Your numbers are a little off.  Cisco defines them as:

SOHO -- Small Office / Home Office: 1-20 users
Small Business: 20-100 users
Medium Business: 100-500 users

I would tend to go along with these numbers.

} companies tend to already have people taking care of their NT/Novell

     Medium businesses certainly.  However, small businesses may or may
not.  Many of them will contract out the higher end stuff.

} I don't think it's too much of a stretch for their in-house staff to
} maintain Linux or FreeBSD. College grads are already familiar with
} these free systems, or ought to be. Presumably, in-house staff should

     There's a big difference between playing with them at home and
knowing how to handle production systems.  Also, unless they went to
vocational or technical schools, they won't have any operations
training.

} already know OSI, TCP/IP, and IPX. Thus, the learning curve isn't too

     That's a big presumption.

} And routing isn't too difficult, really. Especially in small
} environments: Anyone reasonably intelligent who knows TCP/IP
} intimately, can manage routing, or a firewall for that matter. Or

     How many people know TCP/IP intimately?  Probably fewer then you
think.

     Firewalls are specialty items that still require knowledgable
people.  Unless you like either having people break into your network
or having your network break.

} I've worked for small companies. The limited resources require
} sysadmins who can wear several hats and learn quickly. It's just the
} nature of the beast, nasty, brutish, but for expediency's sake, as
} variegated as the business needs require.

     That's true, but they don't necessarily have to know everything.
Some of the more complex stuff could be farmed out.

}-- End of excerpt from anthony kim