On Jul 6,  4:37pm, "Mask Of Zorro" wrote:
} >From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
} >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
} >Subject: Re: alternative to Cisco routers
} >Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:34:15 -0500
} >
} > >This is all well and good for the big time players, ISPs, big corps
} > >yadda yadda yadda, and companies with cash to burn like so much old
} >toilet
} > >paper. The Small and Midsized Business market (SMB) almost always can
} > >accomplish what they want with free Unix or Linux for layer 3 and
} > >cheap stackable switches with or without 802.1q support.
} > >
} > >So my obligatory cisco alternative:
} > >www.zebra.org
} >
} >And, in a non-information technology related SMB, who installs and supports
} >it?
}
} Some overworked, under-paid college kid with nothing but time on his hands
} to learn all this stuff and thirst for it that leaves him with a list or
} certifications as long as my arm... I run into these kids every day in the

     And, who has probably never ran a production server in his life.

     Of course, you also get the people that are too cheap to pay for
proper support.  I ran into a case of this not long ago.  A local
company that develops high end Oracle applications had their Linux
"firewall" hacked and it was being used to attack other sites.  They
are using @Home.  They need their Internet connection in order to
Conduct business, and they got cutoff until their system was fixed.
When they found out what it would cost for me to rebuild the box
properly, they decided not to use me.  Instead they used some kid that
did it for $30.  Gee, isn't that what got them into trouble in the
first place?  Of course, given what they do, if I were to ask them to
do even a really simple thing for $30, they probably wouldn't even give
me the time of day.  Even some technology oriented companies aren't
very bright.

     Anyways, I'm not desperate enough for business that I will lower
my rates to compete with kids that don't know what they are doing.  At
that rate, I would have to be extremely high volume in order to be able
to eat, which means that my quality would suffer big time.

} field. My hat's off to 'em! They forge new ground, but sooner or later they

     Maybe so, but that doesn't mean that they should be building
business critical systems.

}-- End of excerpt from "Mask Of Zorro"