On Jul 6,  2:30pm, "dre" wrote:
}
} I disagree, Linux is a bad choice!  A Cisco 3640
} router would cost about the same and I'd like to see

     Gee, I'd sure like to know where you get your routers...

} you get a full BGP table with Linux for the same
} hardware cost.  plus, linux doesn't have CEF or
} any of the standard stuff that comes with IOS

     It definitely wouldn't have the forwarding performance or
stability.

} The SMB market does what they will, and who
} cares anyways?  They have *no* market share,
} they aren't Internet players, they aren't market
} players, they are NOTHING.  what they DON'T

     Cisco disagrees with you.  Actually, I do too.  Individually, they
may not be much; but, together they are a huge market.  The enterprise
market is starting to get full whereas the SMB market is just really
getting into technology.

} NEED is another strange weird solution that I would
} only put into a lab ; they need something standard,
} something that works, something that will scale,
} something that will perform up to their needs,

     I will agree with this.  The trick is finding companies that are
willing to spend the money to do it right.  If they aren't, then move
on since they won't be worth the aggravation.  On the other hand, if it
is a really small company that only has a single server, then having it
also act as their Internet gateway isn't necessarily a bad thing.

} and something that most $20/hour NT admins
} could configure.

     I'd be scared to have to depend on a router that was configured by
a $20/hour NT admin.

}-- End of excerpt from "dre"