Hey

         My two cents in the matter. PPPoE is a mess. Alot of the
"Baby-Bells" use PPPoE solution in order to undercut bandwidth. I hooked up
with a local provider out here in Phoenix for $45/month for a 1.5 meg
bi-directional SDSL line. Downside is it runs PPPoE so I only see about
1,300 Kilobit per second throughput(which is still great for the money).
Additionally alot of different providers do different wacky things with
their PPPoE implementations. Some running proprietary versions or require
special header info. A company called roaring penguin implemented a
solution for linux (roaringpenguin.com) and it will "sniff" windows
machines logging into the network to figure out the proprietary things that
are being done.  Just my two cents...

Had all sorts of problems, DHCP server(for ethernet) ran via PPPoE and
required a "default" address be set so that it could expire the lease right
away and re-issue one ( so I just hardcoded the ethernet address). Then the
stupid authentication was screwy. In the end everything turned out fine,
but I wonder if Cisco products work with these "proprietary"
implementations of PPPoE.

Brandon Ripper
CCNA

BTW- this "DSLPipe" by Lucent they provided seems to just be bridge back to
a main concentrator. Although they listed DLCI and port numbers on its tag...