That is why I said the main reason not the only reason. Normally, before
Node A sends any packet, it will do ARP, this will create loop immediately.
Not so normal, you can hard coded the ARP cache.

Jack

""Peter Van Oene"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> This is actually not the case.  A layer two network that contains a
logical loop with get into trouble with all types of traffic flows.  For
example, consider a simple network like the one I'll try and draw below.

> Node A Node B
>    |     |
> ---------Ethernet 1---------------------------
> | |
>      Bridge A   Bridge B
> | |
> --------------Ethernet 2----------------------
>
> Consider a transmission from Node A to Node B and assume that both nodes
were recently powered up and that the bridge tables for the two bridges have
not been built.

> Here is a likely scenario.  The frame hits Ethernet 1 and both bridge A
and B detect the packet and check their forwarding tables only to realize
they do not have an entry for B.  At this time they add Node A to the
forwarding table as residing on Ethernet 1.  They then both forward the
frame onto Ethernet 2.  Node B also receives the frame and processes it.
However, 2 versions of the frame now exist on or headed two Ethernet 2.
When the bridges forward to Ethernet 2, (1 at a time) each bridge will
process the others frame and decide that A has indeed moved to Ethernet 2
and adjust their forwarding tables appropriately.  Assuming B hasn't
responded as yet, they will also process each others frames and still not
finding B in their forwarding table, copy them back onto Ethernet 1.
However, when they do, they will again switch A's address from Ethernet 2 to
1 and likely repeat the process again.

> Just think what happens when B responds :)
>
> All in all, this is very unhealthy.  The fact that there is no way at
layer 2 in ethernet to detect the age of frames severely hinders loop
mitigation.  In fact, there pretty much isn't any loop mitigation at layer 2
in ethernet networks.  If you create a looped topology and do not prune the
redundant paths, you will bring a network down in seconds.

> Pete

> On 2/18/2001 at 4:58 PM Jack Yu wrote:
>
> >Actually, the main reason to eliminate multiple paths is because of
> >broadcast at layer 2. Lay 2 devices have to this forward broadcast, and
> >multiple paths to a single destination will cause broadcast storm. Layer
3
> >devices do not have this problem only because they do not forward
broadcast,
> >they either read it or drop it. So if there is a network with no layer 2
> >broadcast, you do not need spanning tree at all. Of course, you can also
> >disable it when you are sure there is no duplicated path exists.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Jack
> >

> >""Groupstudy"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Spanning Tree's job is to eliminate multiple paths to a single
> >destination.
> >> If it finds more than one path it will put one of them into blocking
mode
> >> ensure a loop free path.   Remember, Spanning Tree runs at layer two
and
> >has
> >> no concept bandwidth.  If you need to setup equal cost paths to a
certain
> >> destination, you will need to do it at layers above layer two.
> >>
> >> Pick up a copy of Radia Perlmans 'Interconnections' second edition.
Radia