At 08:14 AM 2/19/01, AndyD wrote:
>Thanks for all your help.  The way I understand it now is that with multiple
>vlans using different root bridges, you can have different vlans splitting
>the bandwidth - some going in one direction, some in the other.  But if one
>link goes down, STP will then shift all to the good link.  This gives you
>some load balancing and also redundancy.

Yes, and thanks to the people who provided the details. This is often a
good solution. It has been shown to scale to even very large switched networks.

>It looks like you need to go to
>layer 3 switching to do any load balancing other than this.  And
>etherchannel is another option for aggregating bandwidth.  But someone said
>with etherchannel using 4 full duplex 100 mbp ports will not give 800 mbps
>of throughput?  I always thought that in theory that was the case??

It's "statistical" load balancing, according to Cisco. The operation that
determines which link in a Fast EtherChannel to use is quite bizarre, and
does not provide precise load balancing. It provides load sharing. Think of
it like a complex highway system. Adding new highways distributes the load,
but it doesn't usually balance the load very precisely.

The division of traffic across a Fast EtherChannel is based on
source/destination pairs, which is usually not very balanced. There are
usually some big talkers and receivers. The Ethernet Bundling Controller
(EBC) performs an X-OR operation on the last two bits of the source MAC
address and the destination MAC address. This operation yields one of four
results: (0 0), (0 1), (1 0), or (1 1). Each of these values points to a
link in the Fast EtherChannel bundle.

Priscilla