Thanks for all your help.  The way I understand it now is that with multiple
vlans using different root bridges, you can have different vlans splitting
the bandwidth - some going in one direction, some in the other.  But if one
link goes down, STP will then shift all to the good link.  This gives you
some load balancing and also redundancy. It looks like you need to go to
layer 3 switching to do any load balancing other than this.  And
etherchannel is another option for aggregating bandwidth.  But someone said
with etherchannel using 4 full duplex 100 mbp ports will not give 800 mbps
of throughput?  I always thought that in theory that was the case??  Since
the data is transmitted on different wire pairs, if the sender and receiver
transmit at the same time, why isn't 800 mbps possible????

Thanks again !!