Unfortunately, you are running into something endemic to the DC area,
especially the Federal government. Agencies have head count
restrictions, but still need staffing.  So, there have evolved a
class of brokers that rent out people to the using organizations.
The brokers often mark up your rate by 100% or more, although they do
have to float receivables for 60 days or more.

Becoming a Cisco partner just needs the right certificated people,
which, at the lower level, could be the principals.  As I remember,
though, continued partner status also means a certain level of sales.
A pure body shop won't have equipment sales.  Unfortunately again,
it's often easier for government agencies to deal with a small
business reseller, perhaps under minority business 8(a) setasides --
they can just go make small purchases without complex procurement.

Don't expect any real support from your direct employer, but keep an
open mind about the client.  I spent three good solid years at the US
Labor Department as an ostensibly "temporary contractor," which is
where I really broke into system programming and networking. Some
clients exploit the system, but others recognize that it's really
their job to motivate the contractors and can be quite decent to
them.  Good clients may find loopholes for such things as training --
they can't pay your salary to attend an offsite class, but they may
have in-house classes and let you "drop in" -- even with credit.