Daniel,

We've done something very similar to this by putting active/standby load
balancing devices in an ISP. Your URL then points to a VIP on the load
balancing device. The device then health checks your two sites and load
balances accordingly.
If the ISP dies then, yes you'll lose both sites, but the world is a single
point of failure.
I've not mentioned the device above, but there are various solutions
including Foundry, Cisco CSS11000 and probably a fair few more.

I believe the problem with the DNS solution is that although a DNS TTL can
be set to 0, there is only a requirement to support TTL down to 2 days. So
DNS info can be cached for this period by non-authorative DNS'.
I think there is also a problem with browsers, which can also cache DNS info
for a period of time (40 minutes rings a bell but I don't know why).
DNS seems a lovely way of doing it, and the CSS11000 seems to do it better
than some other devices I've seen, not least because it can be the
authoritive DNS itself, but I don't know if there is a way round these
caching problems.

Can any DNS guru's out there throw some ideas in?

Gaz