Hmm....that's an interesting thought.  Let me restate the question to
make sure I understand what he's asking.   Here's the scenario:

We have multiple routers running eigrp.  They already have a default
route with an AD of 170 and they want to configure a floating static
default with an AD of 180.  If this static route is redistributed into
the AS, will it override the existing default routes?

I believe the answer is....it depends.  The fact that the existing AD
is 170 tells me that it is being redistributed from another routing
protocol or AS into this AS.  If you configure a static default route
and then redistribute static, doesn't his also get an AD of 170?  It
seems to me that the receiving routers would then have two equal-cost
default routes available.

Instead of relying on AD, why not redistribute the static routes with a
higher metric?  The receiving routers will be aware of them but will not
use them unless the lower-cost default goes away.

Is my thinking about this correct?  Is there a better way to do this?

Regards,
John

>>> "Kevin Wigle"  6/26/01 10:32:10 AM >>>
My gut feeling is yes, it should behave exactly like that............

but I would want to run it in the lab first...............

Kevin Wigle