One thing I never really thought about until I read something the other day:

If a switch was set to server mode I would have been wary of the
configuration revision before connecting it to an existing network.
If it was set to client mode I don't think I would have been quite as
cautious.
No matter whether the switch is client or server, the switch with the
highest revision will override the others. You can't change the VLAN
configuration, but if the revision is already higher it will override any
other switches VLAN config.

Another thing which seems a little strange - The CP BCMSN book suggests the
following steps before inserting a new switch into an existing domain(cut
down a little):

1. Issue a Clear Config All
2. Power Cycle the switch to clear the VTP NVRAM
3. Determine the mode of operation and if Server mode is to be used, verify
that the revision is set to zero.

Step one and two seem to be a bit of overkill.
>From memory, the revision was set to zero after each change of VTP mode, VTP
domain, and a few other things. After reading how non-volatile it was, I was
quite surprised how easy it was to reset it, although this could be an image
related thing. Anybody any other experiences?   Rich?
Step 3 seems to go against my previous comment that it doesn't matter what
mode the switch is in. Why take more care for Server Mode if Client will
have the same disastrous effect?

Anybody any thoughts?

If we carry on like this we may actually get a topical thread to the same
length as a troll thread or a thread discussing whether piracy is a good or
bad thing.     :-]
I'm only joking, but please send all flames during the evening when I am a
sad bored insomniac. During the day I haven't got time to fart.

Gaz