Cool. I know about the different frame formats and running multiple ones
which means you'll have multiple network numbers. I didn't know NetWare
would automatically assign network numbers. What does it do if there are
other servers and/or routers sharing the segment and they have already
assigned the network number(s)? Is it smart enough to pick up on this?

Thanks

Priscilla

At 08:08 PM 7/11/01, Patricia Leeb-Hart wrote:
>While it's certainly preferable to assign network numbers manually, NetWare
>will assign a random unique 8-digit hex IPX network number, depending on the
>installation process you choose.  The "express" installation is really only
>useful for one-server environments and is an option I never used.  Now, as
>to why it would assign multiple network numbers: normally only one frame
>type would be loaded (default is 802.3 with 3.2 and 4.x).  However, it gives
>you the option to load them all, and often inexperienced admins will do so.
>So, if you loaded all the frame types and allowed NetWare to generate the
>network numbers, NetWare assumes that you'd do this in order to run multiple
>IPX networks.  It's analogous to creating secondary addresses or
>sub-interfaces on a router, each with its unique network number and/or
>encapsulation.  (i'd really like to see the AUTOEXEC.NCF for this particular
>server )
>
>This isn't as much of an issue with 5.x, as the default protocol is IP.
>However, if you choose to install IPX compatibility, it will still offer you
>the choice of randomly generating the IPX network number.  It's a NetWare
>thang.

>Interesting. Why would it generate network numbers, though? Shouldn't
>network numbers be manually configured?
>
>Priscilla
>
>At 04:11 PM 7/11/01, Patricia Leeb-Hart wrote:
> >I finally feel qualified to comment on a question on this list (having
> >worked with NetWare for the past 6 years)
> >
> >The addresses you're seeing are generated automatically.  What's happening
> >here is that the new server has every single Ethernet frame type loaded,
and
> >as a result is using different IPX network number for every frame type.
New
> >3.x and 4.x servers will do this if you perform an install using all the
> >defaults.  You need to run INSTALL (or NWCONFIG if 5.x), edit the
> >AUTOEXEC.NCF and remove all BIND statements referencing frame types you
> >don't want to use.  Ethernet_II is preferred.
> >
> >NetWare 5.x is more restrained and tries to use IP only.

> >Those were either auto generated, or picked up from reading frames on the
> >wire.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com