Last time I checked, there was none of the following on the CCIE written
or lab:

Unix
Tacacs Server Configuration
X-application tunneling over SSL

Would you also expect a CCIE to be able to configure CICS on your
mainframe and troubleshoot terminal controller problems in VTAM on your
FEP?

No, I don't think so.  Remember, the first "C" in CCIE stands for
"CISCO".  Just because it's incredibly hard to get does not mean it's
the ultimate pinnacle of networking achievement and there is nothing
left to learn.

In fact, I relate it to a black belt in martial arts.  Those with
experience understand that a black belt is yet another starting point,
it's not the end of the road.

Okay, enough rambling.  Time to go home!

John

>>> "Sean Young"  7/20/01 5:14:47 PM >>>
What's wrong with CCIEs today?  I know that I am making a general
assumptions; however,this is the second time that it has happend to
the
company that I work for.  We have several tacacs servers that use to
authenticate users.  These tacacs servers are running on a combination
of
Linux and Solaris platforms.  While I was away at the Networker
Conference, one of our tacacs servers (solaris) die due to hardware
failure and the amazingly the tacacs process on the Linux die.
Because
of this, everyone has to login to the routers and switches via local
account.  We hire these CCIEs to maintain the network while I am away
for
a few weeks.  None of these CCIEs have any background with tacacs
servers
running on Unix platforms.  As to our problems, the simple to do is
just
to restart the tacacs process byfirst:  "killall tac_plus" and second
"/usr/sbin/tac_plus -C /etc/tacacs/tac_plus.cfg" but these CCIEs guys
have absolutely no clues.  Furthermore, they don't even know how to
use
editing in Unix (i.e vi or emacs) and ended up screwing up my tacacs
configuration files.  We have a few employees that need tacacs account
but these CCIEs guys have no clues how to addnew users to a
configuration
file which if anyone has done tacacs on the unix platform know that
you
just modify the configuration file tac_plus.conf and restart tacacs
process.   These CCIE guys say that they come from a windows
environment
so they don't have too much with Unix platforms.  I also notice that a
lot of CCIEs these days lack the Unix skills that are required for the
Service Providers environment.  Most don't even know how to tunnel
X-application through Secure Shell (SSH).  I still remember those days
when Cisco Engineers are very well verse in both unix and routers
skills.  I long for those days again. Comments anyone?