Okay, what is BASIC?
Knowing how to change network configuration of windows is basic, because
most people use windows on their PCs. If some CCIEs do not know how to
configure Unix boxes and still finish their daily tasks, this means to these
CCIEs Unix skills are not basic.
When you hire them, you should know what they can do, if you want to them to
do something they still do not know yet, let them know your requirement and
give them time or some training to learn it. All CCIEs know how to learn,
this is how they got their numbers.
If I am not the administrator of a box, the last thing I want to do is to
touch the box without letting the admin know it, we all know this typical
story happening to everyone all the time:"
You walk into a computer room, put a card on a router, the time you finish
this, the router on a seperate rack 30 feet away reboots itself, you are the
only one in the computer room, so you, to some extend on your boss mind, are
resposible for this."

KY