From:   Sean Young [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, July 20, 2001 4:15 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        what's wrong with CCIE today? [7:13151]

What's wrong with CCIEs today?  I know that I am making a general
assumptions; however,this is the second time that it has happend to the
company that I work for.  We have several tacacs servers that use to
authenticate users.  These tacacs servers are running on a combination of
Linux and Solaris platforms.  While I was away at the Networker
Conference, one of our tacacs servers (solaris) die due to hardware
failure and the amazingly the tacacs process on the Linux die.  Because
of this, everyone has to login to the routers and switches via local
account.  We hire these CCIEs to maintain the network while I am away for
a few weeks.  None of these CCIEs have any background with tacacs servers
running on Unix platforms.  As to our problems, the simple to do is just
to restart the tacacs process byfirst:  "killall tac_plus" and second
"/usr/sbin/tac_plus -C /etc/tacacs/tac_plus.cfg" but these CCIEs guys
have absolutely no clues.  Furthermore, they don't even know how to use
editing in Unix (i.e vi or emacs) and ended up screwing up my tacacs
configuration files.  We have a few employees that need tacacs account
but these CCIEs guys have no clues how to addnew users to a configuration
file which if anyone has done tacacs on the unix platform know that you
just modify the configuration file tac_plus.conf and restart tacacs
process.   These CCIE guys say that they come from a windows environment
so they don't have too much with Unix platforms.  I also notice that a
lot of CCIEs these days lack the Unix skills that are required for the
Service Providers environment.  Most don't even know how to tunnel
X-application through Secure Shell (SSH).  I still remember those days
when Cisco Engineers are very well verse in both unix and routers
skills.  I long for those days again. Comments anyone?

attachments hereto.  Please advise immediately if you or your employer do
not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions,
conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the
official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.