Sorry, I haven't seen the movie Rainmaker.

As for your experience in the Air National Guard--you know that experience
doesn't mean that you never make bad judgements.  I can think of several
extremely seasoned pilots I know that have made really dumb judgement calls
just because they've pushed the envelope before and not had any
consequences.  And sometimes, it's not even having pushed the envelope
before that leads to stupid mistakes.  One pilot I knew began flying during
I believe it was the Korean war.  He moved onto airlines and racked up
several thousands of hours flying the friendly skies.  He was also a
seasoned aerobatic pilot having won several U.S. aerobatic championships and
helped lead the US team to win a World Aerobatic Championship title.  He and
his wife wanted to sell their land in southern California.  They hired a
photographer to take pictures of their property.  When the photographer
didn't show up, this pilot grabbed his wife's biplane and in a tempermental
state took pictures of his own property.   Needless to say, distances
looking through the lens of a camera are different than standard vision.  He
flew into a hill on his own property.  I can't say that I as a young pilot
compared to this veteran haven't made stupid mistakes, but I would take far
fewer risks than he would.

To every rule there is an exception--because people are individuals.  Some
are able to compensate.  The best person you'll ever know is the person who
says, "I don't know, but I'll find out."  And then they do.  THAT's what I
mean when I say "My point is... experience doesn't always matter.
Brilliance and the willingness to do a good job can compensate quite well
for experience."

  -- Leigh Anne