Comments inline:

 wrote in message
> > When I lost my job last year due to downsizing I weighed my options;
MCSE or
> CCIE...finished CCNP on April 30th so I guess that tells you my choice...
> HOWEVER, after getting the CCNP I began doing some job hunting, EVERY
> potential employer wanted MCSE/MCP and didn't care one way or the other
> about
> Cisco certs. I'm 48 yrs. old and really didn't care much about the MCSE
> because of the perceptions you stated (an MCSE on every corner), however I
> read several Microsoft books this summer (NT, W2K Pro, Exchange 5.5 &
2000)
> but haven't attempted any exams.  On a whim I took the CCIE written this
past Saturday.  Didn't pass but I do
> believe the exam is far to easy.  YES, to easy!!  I came up a couple
answers
> short but really put no effort into preparing for the exam!!

> Anyway back to CCIE, aside from the CCNP studies, which I finished in the
> spring, I read mostly from the Cisco CD (Internetworking Technology
> Overview,
> Case Studies, Design etc) and Lou's Token Ring paper (Thank You Dennis for
> the TR quizzes) but DID NOT read any of the popular books i.e. Halibi,
> Caslow, Doyle endorsed here.  I didn't read them for a reason and that was
> see if I could pass WITHOUT their input and if I hadn't scr*&^ewed up a
> couple security questions I would have passed AND THEN I would really have
> been PISSED....having a qualification to THE LAB and basically only
> theoretical knowledge base.  I chose the CCIE route BECAUSE it was
supposed
> to be the crown jewel of networking!!!
>
> my .02 worth
>
> Rick

I'm not sure, but I think that you may have fallen into one of the most
common traps in the IT cert world - which is believing that the CCIE written
exam is comparable to the lab.  I can assure you that the difficulty of the
written is perhaps 5% as difficult as the lab exam, and perhaps less than
1%.  Simply put, the difference between the written and the lab is like
night and day, and anybody who has tried both would agree, I'm sure (does
anybody out there who has tried both exams disagree?).

About those books that you mentioned - Caslow, Doyle, Halabi, etc.   I
believe that when people recommended them, they were doing so for the lab
exam.  I can recall nothing in those books that was useful for the written.
But I doubt that there is a single person who has passed the lab lately who
has not read them.

About your notion that the written is too easy,  I agree completely.  This
has actually been well-known within the CCIE community - that the written
exam was simply not getting the job done.  Hence, Cisco is now rewriting the
written and it is expected that it will be much harder and more
representative of what the CCIE program will be all about.

You also stated that the Microsoft certs are more useful in getting work
than Cisco certs, implying that Microsoft certs are more useful than Cisco
certs.   I believe that it all comes down to the interactions of supply and
demand that determines the value of anything in this world.  It is most
certainly true that there are more positions available for Microsoft trained
people (higher demand), as a typical organization needs many more Microsoft
admins than Cisco admins.  But that's not the whole side of the story,
because you have neglected the supply side of the equation.  I would
certainly agree that if there were an equal number of Cisco-certified people
in the world as there are Microsoft-certified people, than the Microsoft
cert would be more valuable.  I don't recall the exact numbers, but I do
know there this is not the case - there are many many more
Microsoft-certified people than there are Cisco people.  The proof of the
pudding is in the eating. CCIE's tend to have better jobs than MCSE's do,
and this is because of the disproportionately low supply of CCIE's vs. the
supply of MCSE' that easily compensates for the lower demand.

I'll give you an extreme analogy.   My favorite spectator sport is NFL
football.   We all know that star NFL quarterbacks make millions.  But is
that due to some huge demand for QB's?  Not really - there are only 32 NFL
teams, so there is a worldwide demand of only 32 starting quarterbacks.   So
how is it that these guys, especially the stars, can make so much money?
Simple - there are at most  50 or maybe 75 people in the world who can be
legitimate NFL starting quarterbacks.   Of that, maybe only 5-10 of them can
legitimately be considered to be star players.  The point is even if demand
is low for something, the value of that thing can still be high if supply is
disproporionately low.