I accidentally deleted the original post - ah well.
We have a similar problem here - which we are hoping to solve by moving the
unix box to where the users are :-)
However I assume you have users at the central site who are using it as
well.

I suspect that your overall proportion of telnet traffic is probably pretty
low, so you could probably implement priority queueing to give your telnet
traffic absolute priority with very little risk of locking out other
traffic.
However, it could just be that telnet packets are getting queued behind
large ftp packets and getting hit by a large latency - priority queueing
won't cause a telnet packet to preempt a large packet already on the wire
(which is probably just as well).
If priority queueing doesn't fix the problem, perhaps you should look at
some of the QoS techniques used to minimise latency for voice?  For
example, frame relay fragmentation?

JMcL (attempting to put into practice - even if vicariously - a voice
course done recently ;-)

----- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 02/11/2001 02:25 pm -----

"Michael
                    Williams"            To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                 Subject:     Re: Prioritizing
Protocols????
                    Sent by:
[7:24959]

nobody@groups

tudy.com

02/11/2001
                    06:56
am

Please
                    respond

"Michael

Williams"

I agree with the other posters here.  Let us know what those 1601 support.
Priority queuing with work, but Weighted-Fair (which should, as the other
poster said, handle this already) is the best choice for this.
Weighted-Fair is setup in a way the high bandwidth traffic doesn't choke
small bandwidth applications (like Telnet).  Otherwise Priority or Custom
queueing are your only other options..... (AFAIK)

Mike W.