From: Paul Borghese [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, 12 November 2001 5:47 p.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: List Circuitbreakers fired [7:25791]

I do not get paid to manage groupstudy as it is a hobby of mine consuming
countless hours of time I should be spending with my family.  Every vacation
we take gets somehow interrupted by some issue with groupstudy.    Plus at
times the we could have really used the money spent on GroupStudy for other
things.  Frankly my wife has been amazing supportive of the entire thing.

I was talking to a friend of mine about the pains associated with managing
this site.  He could not believe all the crap that I need to deal with on a
daily basis.  So the next day  I decided to keep a log of all of the things
that I needed to take care of for that particular day.  I was going to
publish it but was later advised against it (see item 1).  In a nutshell, on
this one particular day I spent most of the day (in between doing my "real"
job):

1. Dealing with a person who was threatening to sue me over a posting
another list member sent (under the belief that I am responsible).   This
person was also suing the poster and the poster's company in an attempt to
get the guy fired.  I know this because he insisted on courtesy copying
everyone involved on all correspondence.  $100's of dollars in legal fees
later I learned that the entire thing was frivolous and the courts were
quite clear with numerous decisions that I am not liable.  The case was
later dropped.   But it is still not pleasant to think that your financial
future may be jepodized over a hobby.

2. Trying to help a person get off the list.  I needed him to send me a
header of one of the e-mails but everytime I asked for the header he would
respond with obscenities and demand to be removed.  But I needed the headers
to figure out how he was receiving the messages.  He ended up bouncing all
of his messages (out of some sort of warped revenge) to my personal e-mail
account.  But at least then I was able to view the header and get him off
the list.  What I don't understand is if he was capable of bouncing e-mails
to a third account, why all the obscenity?  He should have understood the
reasoning and just sent me the headers.

3.  Tracked someone down at Cisco's request who broke the CCIE NDA.

4. Did an interview for a magazine for an article on GroupStudy.com.

5. Tracked down a hacker who had broken into a companies machine and was now
attacking groupstudy.com.  After blocking that machine from GroupStudy, I
wrote to the contacts listed in the whois database.  By some strange
coincidence the security offer of the company called me (who I had never
spoken to before) to discuss a matter concerning a posting on one of the
lists that needs to be removed.  He had no idea there was this problem with
the hacker but was able to get me in contact with the technical people in
the company so I could explain.

If this was a job, believe me I would quit!

We do sell a limited amount of banner ads, but that money goes towards the
upkeep of the servers and lessens the burden of this site on me financially.
For a while I was spending close to $1000/month on bandwidth before InFlow
rescued us by giving the site free bandwidth.  Now we seem to be at a break
even point and may even have enough money for that new shinny server I have
my eye on :-).

So to make a long story short, Money OUT > Money IN while I believe most
jobs use the formula Money IN > Money OUT.   But like a real job
AGGRAVATION>APPRECIATION.

Paul Borghese

P.S.  Please let's improve the list by using our real names instead of
cowarding behind a yahoo account and using anonymizer.com.  If you are not
willing to say something with your name attached to it - it should not be
said.