This is a great topic! I deal with the same type issues regularly and
even in the texas metro areas. I will never forget hearing th old addage
"Frame Relay is considered unreliable". As well, I went to  Network
Solutions training held by Global Knowledge in November which covered,
designing service provider networks using ATM, Frame Relay, BGP, MPLS
etc. It gave us a lot of insight into the real scenarios. The instructor
was an older person who was experienced and smart as a tack. I had to
ask him (even with providers in the class) "what the hell's up with
frame relay bouncing around so much?", and he said "They are screwing
with things, making upgrades, etc, but they will never tell you
that".... but not to blame the providers, its back to frame relay's need
for maintnance, etc.....   Since we have had our own ATM cloud, (partial
upgrade for some of our 24 entities) I have noticed the "lack" of issues
compared to those still on frame through a provider. Hope this sheds
light....