At 07:57 PM 1/14/02, s vermill wrote:
>Priscilla,
>
>May I ask what led you to believe that bridging was involved as opposed to
>just assuming that the source address was the Cisco router itself?

Good question. The IBM 6611 does bridging for one thing. The other hint was
that it was attempting to send an OSPF Hello on a serial interface. Does
OSPF do that?  How does it establish adjacency to a neighbor router on a
WAN? On a point-to-point network, I figured it just knew who its neighbor
was.

On a non-broadcast, multiple-access network, such as Frame Relay, you
normally configured the neighbor command.

I've only seen the OSPF multicast Hellos on LANs, (but I can't afford a WAN
Sniffer anymore! ;-)

Gurus? Help? Thanks.

Priscilla

P.S. Anyone seeing this may be confused because you didn't include the
original message. PLEASE, people, reply with the body of the message in the
reply. We work in connectionless, stateless mode. How do you expect anyone
to easily connect this to the discussion about a router failing to forward
a packet on a PPP link to an IBM 6611. Hello?????

>Just as an opportunity to learn something.
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com