At 10:04 PM 1/14/02, Kane, Christopher A. wrote:
>Yes, OSPF sends hellos on Serial interfaces. In point-to-point networks
>OSPF's hello is multicast. There is no DR/BDR so it's my understanding that
>it simply becomes a Master/Slave relationship.

During the database description exchange state, the routers are in a
master/slave relation. For the rest of the time, the adjacent neighbors are
just friendly peers, wouldn't you say?

>Mindful that in OSPF a Neighbor is not the same as an Adjacency. All routers
>become neighbors (assuming all aspects of the Hello protocol are agreed
>upon) They only become Adjacent with the respective DR and BDR of the
>network in the case of a network on a broadcast medium.

We're talking about non-broadcast WAN networks......

>I'm pretty sure you
>only see "2-way" as a neighbor state on point-to-point links rather than

I should try it, but I thought 2-way was an intermediate state, regardless
of the type of network.

>seeing "Full" as on a broadcast medium.
>
>I'd need someone else to chime in on point-to-multipoint as I haven't
>configured that lately.
>
>Chris

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com