Well, that does make sense, now that you mention it. (OSPF sending
multicast Hellos on a serial interface). OSPF uses Hellos as a keepalive,
not just for establishing adjacencies.

Notice, that your reply is still hard to read because we can't tell what
you wrote and what I wrote. But if you're reading and writing e-mail from a
Web page, I could see how that could happen. It's not a big deal. Thanks
for the reply.

Priscilla

At 09:15 PM 1/14/02, s vermill wrote:
>Good question. The IBM 6611 does bridging for one thing. The other hint was
>that it was attempting to send an OSPF Hello on a serial interface. Does
>OSPF do that? How does it establish adjacency to a neighbor router on a
>WAN? On a point-to-point network, I figured it just knew who its neighbor
>was.
>
>On a non-broadcast, multiple-access network, such as Frame Relay, you
>normally configured the neighbor command.
>
>I've only seen the OSPF multicast Hellos on LANs, (but I can't afford a WAN
>Sniffer anymore! ;-)
>
>Gurus? Help? Thanks.
>
>Priscilla
>

>Priscilla,
>
>I was fairly certain that OSPF exchanges hellos on serial interfaces.  I
>turned on OSPF on a router in my lab and then turned on debug ip packet.  In
>deed, hellos with a destination address of 224.0.0.5 are going out all
>interfaces - including serial.
>

>P.S. Anyone seeing this may be confused because you didn't include the
>original message. PLEASE, people, reply with the body of the message in the
>reply. We work in connectionless, stateless mode. How do you expect anyone
>to easily connect this to the discussion about a router failing to forward
>a packet on a PPP link to an IBM 6611. Hello?????
>

>I am fairly new around here.  It appears that a lot of folks participate in
>this forum via a list.  I have been doing so via the web page, so I am not
>familiar with what the rest of you see.  Did I do it right this time?
>

>Regards,
>
>Scott

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com