First, thanks for all the information.  I forgot to mention that when I did
a Show ip int brief I saw up and up. Next, here is some pertinent
configuration information:

Interface Serial 2/5
   mtu 2044
   ip address 172.25.x.x 255.255.255.252
   encapsulation ppp
   ipx network B051
   ipx update interval rip 300
   ipx update interval sap 300
   nrzi-encoding

router ospf 200
   log-adjacency-changes
   network 172.25.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0.0.0.0

Sh ver is as follows:

Version 12.0(7)XE1

IBM 6611

cisco 7204VXR (NPE225) processor with 122880K/8192K bytes of memory.
R527x CPU at 262Mhz, Implementation 40, Rev 10.0, 2048KB L2 Cache
4 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.3

This router was exchanging OSPF updates with a Cisco 1601 via a different
serial interface.  I was also using PPP encapsulation on both interfaces
there and it worked fine.

Finally, I have to say that we have this configuration in another location
with five serial ports connected to various IBM routers via T-1.  All of the
serial ports have identical configurations as the serial port listed above.
Unfortunately, we are on a live network here and I cannot plug this router
back into the network to look at logs.  I would have to take down a
courthouse and that has to be scheduled far in advance. Plus, they would not
like it if I took them down to do 'testing'!

Thanks again for the information and keep it coming!