Fraasch James wrote:

> First, thanks for all the information.  I forgot to mention
> that when I did a Show ip int brief I saw up and up. Next, here
> is some pertinent configuration information:
>
> Interface Serial 2/5
>    mtu 2044
>    ip address 172.25.x.x 255.255.255.252
>    encapsulation ppp
>    ipx network B051
>    ipx update interval rip 300
>    ipx update interval sap 300
>    nrzi-encoding
>
> router ospf 200
>    log-adjacency-changes
>    network 172.25.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0.0.0.0
>
> Sh ver is as follows:
>
> Version 12.0(7)XE1
>
> IBM 6611
>
> cisco 7204VXR (NPE225) processor with 122880K/8192K bytes of
> memory.
> R527x CPU at 262Mhz, Implementation 40, Rev 10.0, 2048KB L2
> Cache
> 4 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.3
>
> This router was exchanging OSPF updates with a Cisco 1601 via a
> different serial interface.  I was also using PPP encapsulation
> on both interfaces there and it worked fine.
>
> Finally, I have to say that we have this configuration in
> another location with five serial ports connected to various
> IBM routers via T-1.  All of the serial ports have identical
> configurations as the serial port listed above. Unfortunately,
> we are on a live network here and I cannot plug this router
> back into the network to look at logs.  I would have to take
> down a courthouse and that has to be scheduled far in advance.
> Plus, they would not like it if I took them down to do 'testing'!
>
> Thanks again for the information and keep it coming!

James,

I don't know if this is acceptable advice in this forum, but I would
seriously consider opening a case with the TAC.  I say that because of your
successful deployment of this setup elsewhere.  It certainly doesn't look
like anything too fancy or outlandish (although you don't see inverted NRZ
everyday).  Unfortunatley, I don't have any IBM routers laying around to
play with.

I would make this final point:  MTU mismatch can and probably will cause
your OSPF neighborship to fail.  If you 'sh ip ospf neigh' you will see that
they are stuck in exstart or exchange (when there is a mismatch - I am not
presuming that you have one).  Also, 'debug ip ospf adj' will tell you that
MTU mismatch is the problem (if in fact it is).

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Scott