In a message dated 2/18/2002 9:13:35 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

nrf,
I tend to agree with what you said about broadband.  However, I think I can
sum it up in 3 points:
*The Broadband market is not the success story vendors had claimed because:
1. The low learning curve of the average internet user....grandma and grndpa
are just learning about how to operate that dial-up thingy!
2. None of the mid-level providers have the capital to sustain slow growth
and none of the "big 4" want to invest in a recession......its just not
economically prudent to sell a secondary service such as internet when
people
are out of work and can barely afford food and rent!
3. The chain of events over the last 9 months that have compounded the
socioeconomic struggles of the United States as a whole have left us a
nation
of fear and apprehension of the future......you can't tell me that this
factor, especially, doesn't come into play when IT companies are deciding
how
to best spend next year's budget!
My .02c,
Rob H.

> [...]
>
> Perhaps the most sobering is the Hart/Winston study that states:   ' "The
> bottom line is that among people who are most likely to subscribe to
> high-speed Internet access, the obstacles are price and lack of appeal,"
> said Hart, CEO of Hart Research. "Forty-eight percent have no interest
> regardless of price and another 21 percent are willing to pay at most $20
> per month. If you cannot win over the people who are currently using the
> Internet, consumer acceptance of high-speed access will be slow and
> limited..."  '
> http://www.comptel.org/press/nov29_2001_voices.html
>
> If you still need convincing, then flip things around.  If there really is
> this huge groundswell of demand for broadband access, then ..."...why have
> only 10 percent of those with access to broadband purchased it?"
> (http://www.theneteconomy.com/article/0,3658,s=916&a=19232,00.asp).   In
the
> United States, basic phone uptake rates are at 99% or so, basic cable TV is
> about 70%, uptake, digital cable TV is about 25% uptake, and cellphone
> uptake is at least 25% (uptake defined to be those people who can get who
> choose to get it).  So why is broadband uptake so low.  You would think
that
> if people were beating down the doors for broadband, that uptake would be
> much much higher than it is.    Or, as Stephen Ricchetti said it best:
> "Overwhelmingly, people think it's a bad deal at current costs," Ricchetti
> said. "What we are looking at is a demand issue, not a supply issue"
> http://www.theneteconomy.com/article/0,3658,s=916&a=19232,00.asp
>
> The simple fact is, the demand is not really there.  The vast majority of
> people (generally high-income, tech-savvy people) who want high-speed
access
> already have it.  The majority of the population is not like this, and for
> whatever reason do not see a whole lot of value in high-speed.  Is this a
> price thing - is it just too expensive?  Maybe (but according to
> Hart/Winston, when 48% of people currently without broadband express no
> interest in it, and another 21% will not pay more than what they pay for
> dialup, maybe price is not the issue -
> http://www.comptel.org/press/nov29_2001_voices.html).   Or is it a problem
> with perception and marketing?  Or both?  Who knows?
>
> Another depressing snippet from Hart/Winston:
> "...Other data show that while the majority believed some form of Internet
> access should be available in all parts of the country, relatively few
users
> (30 percent) place a high priority on ensuring that all Americans have
> access to high-speed service. In fact, more respondents (32 percent) rated
> this a low priority."
>

> > Now we just have to wait for the right technology to
> > come by and offer good service at a good price.
>
> I'm can't deny that things like Moore's law implies continual advances.
But

http://www.theneteconomy.com/article/0,3658,s%253D916%2526a%253D13570,00.asp