I believe the delay is by default set on the interface by the router based
on the type of link it is.  I'm sure there's charts on CCO somewhere.  You
can change this info on the interface with the delay command, which is the
recommended way of changing a metric if you are forced to do so.  The router
dosen't pass the delay info of a link to other routers as a raw figure, it
calculates the BW and delay, then multiplies it by 256 and sends that
calculation to a neighbor, which is the metric.

http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.