A router sends the components of the metric. The recipient calculates the
actual composite metric by working a bunch of black magic.

The DUAL process and figuring out successors are separate from the metric
calculation, but use the metric info.

Here's a terrific paper on the topic:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103/eigrp-toc.html

Priscilla