Because R1 and R2 are not connected to the same ISP, he has to change his IP
address to use the other connection. (because he isn't using BGP to announce
his netblock reachable through both connections).  HSRP can't change his IP.

I've been thinking about it, and there is a (scrapped together
junkyard-wars) way to make this work.  You can HSRP the two routers and have
the backup router NAT the other ISP's IP to a Ip that is valid for it's
connection.  This is a ugly solution, and only works for SMTP incoming mail
transfers from other servers. (because of DNS's MX record priority feature).
Another strike against it is if one of the links fails, all of the SMTP
sessions in Progress will drop, and the remote (sending) mail server will
have to re-initiate.

Isp1 - Ip Range 1.1.1.0/28 (0-15)
Isp2 - Ip Range 2.2.2.0/28 (0-15)
Mail server is configured for the ip of 1.1.1.2, with a default Gateway of
1.1.1.1
Both routers are a member of an HSRP group and listen on 1.1.1.1
R1 is the HSRP primary, tracks the serial link, and preempts.
R2 is the HSRP backup, and preempts if r1's serial link fails.
R2's ethernet interface is IP nat inside, and the t1 interface is ip nat
outside.  R2 has a single static nat entry that translates 1.1.1.2 to
2.2.2.2..
ip nat inside source static 1.1.1.2 2.2.2.2
The DNS records are configured as follows
domain.com.     MX      10      1.1.1.2
domain.com.     MX      20      2.2.2.2

Now, Looking at all of the above and understanding that this doesn't fix
clients trying to connect to the server with POP3 or SMTP directly from
outlook or eudora...  Do you think this is a good solution? ... (no)

BGP is the right answer to this customers needs.

Sadly, I know someone is going to look at this and start pushing it to
customers as a solution.

-Ejay