RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization.  Meaning the Sup is toast and you
have to get a replacement.  Before I got to the place I'm working now, the
main guy did this to one of our 6500s.  Ouch.

Okay, from what you said you're booting the new IOS in Step 18.  There are 2
procedures on that page.  One if you have MSFC1 and one if you have MSFC2.
Since you're rebooting in Step 18, you must be following the directions for
the MSFC1 (since you reboot in Step 17 for the MSFC2), so I'll assuming
you're using an MSFC1.  One major difference between using an MSFC1 and
MSFC2 is that the MSFC1 requires a boot image in the sup-slot0: (or
sup-bootflash:).  That's about the only thing I can think of that would
cause this problem.  I have to admit that I'm not on expert on this, though,
since all of the 6500's I've converted had an MSFC2, so I didn't have the
boot image issue to deal with.

Good luck!

Mike W.