Irwin,

""Irwin Lazar""  wrote in message

> John,
>
> I think you brought an interesting topic.
>
> With all these pitches about Layer 3 VPN, the question has been bothering
me
> for a while, how many enterprises out there really need to have an
> any-to-any solution? Less than 0.5% is my guess. Most of the enterprise
> client/server  applications fit into the hub-spoke topology pretty well,
> really have no reasons to get direct connections among their branches.
>
> Theoretically, MPLS should give the service providers the ability to
provide
> more scalable and cheaper fully meshed VPN solution, as the SPs do not
have
> to manage those hundreds of thousands PVCs, ect. From the enterprises'
> perspective, if this gives them a reliable and affordable alternative to
the
> traditional hub-spoke frame relay network, it sounds attractive, but seems
> to me all the current implementations are even more expensive, not to
> mention their reliability probably is no where near the legacy frame
> network, at least not for a while.
>
> The vendors want to sell their MPLS VPN solutions to SPs, the SPs who
built
> the network want to sell it enterprises , but my guess is that 99%
> enterprises will not buy it, not till...
>
> My .02
>
> Kent
>
> ------------
> True for today - looking forward VoIP, Collaborate Apps, and Desktop video
> conferencing will shift traffic flows and create more need for more
> any-to-any communication.

My original point was despite the growing requirement of above applications,
the enterprises should be able to get by with the legacy frame realy
network. An enterprise, having a pretty good size of network, with things
like  VoIP and Desktop video conferencing on their mind, should break their
network into a topology similar to a SP network. Several regional hub sites
and a backbone structure among those hubs.
To some extend, this may be even better, as you will have a control of where
your hubs will be.
Say you have offices in most of the level 2 or level 3 cities in the east
coast, it makes sense for you to setup your hubs at NYC, D.C. and Atlanta.
This may exactlly how your SP's topology turn up. If you happen to have an
office in LA, the SP you use in the east, may not be able to provide service
in the west coast.

Of course, all this based on the fact that some SPs are offering MPLS at
much higher cost than their frame relay service. Otherwise it won't hurt to
have a full meshed network without going through all this engineering pains.

MPLS should make it possible for the SPs to provide a full meshed QoS
capable network at lower price compared to traditional frame relay, if not,
it makes no sense to me. I guess this must be a marketing thing from the SPs
sales

The other driver for L3-VPNs is IP QoS support
> from the Service Provider.

I am not sure I understand this, why the same bits do not work when they are
in the ip header but start working after we copy them into EXP?

Thanks
Kent Yu