At 3:29 AM -0500 3/22/02, Tom Scott wrote:
>Kent, Irwin,
>
>This is an interesting exchange of perspectives. Could you
>or someone else comment on GMPLS?

GMPLS does many of the things you are describing. It "generalizes"
MPLS setup beyond the current packet/frame oriented paths to paths
that don't have a granularity as fine as packets:  optical
wavelengths, multiplex time slots, and specific physical port
sequences on various devices.

I really don't see MPLS/GMPLS as a relevant technology for most
enterprises. Let me throw out an analogy that I just invented -- I
just got up and may not be thinking clearly.

1.  ATM was originally intended as a carrier-only technology. FR, ISDN, etc.,
     were seen as customer access protocols to the carrier ATM cloud. ATM
     UNI specifications came into being due to a market need for a high-speed
     access technology.

2.  MPLS often is called "ATM without cells."  I consider (G)MPLS analogous
     to the original carrier role of ATM, and things such as
provider-provisioned
     VPNs (PPVPN) at both layer 2 and 3, metro optical Ethernet, 3G wireless,
     etc., corresponding to the access protocols in the original ATM model.

3.  MPLS is not a panacea, but does have many useful features for traffic
     engineering and fault tolerance, especially when dealing with very
     large numbers of L2 emulated circuits and L3 private networks/Internet
     access/large provider cores. GMPLS provides a smooth path for
integrating
     both present (e.g., POS, SONET) and evolving optical technologies.

     How many enterprises will have a requirement to manage many fibers
     containing many DWDM wavelengths at OC-192 or OC-768?

4.  There are enterprise needs that are just starting to get integrated
     with MPLS, such as IPsec.

>How does it factor into
>the comparison of MPLS vs. FR? Is there anything about the
>combination of MPLS / GMPLS that gives it an advantage over
>FR?

Some market research I've seen suggests the telcos do not expect to
have the IP-literate staff to do more than deliver the core  and
perhaps 10% of their VPNs as L3.  L2 VPNs (e.g., frame and virtual
wire emulation) is attractive to them because it significantly
reduces their support costs.

>Another issue I'd like to understand in this context is
>native MPLS transport. Do you see a possibility in the
>future for simplifying the transport of MPLS packets? In
>other words, could one replace SONET/SDH with a simple
>transmission layer X (whatever that might be)? The stack
>,might look something like this:
>
>  7                     7
>  6                     6
>  5                     5
>  4                     4
>  3   3             3   3
>  2   2   2     2   2   2
>  1   1   1  X  1   1   1
>
>          ^     ^
>          |     |
>          +-----+
>          native
>           MPLS
>           core

That's GMPLS, which specifically is intended to be able to transport
SONET, POS, etc.

>There in the middle, where the "native MPLS" core would be
>in a greenfield network, is it possible to transport the
>MPLS packets on a fiber medium, possibly on different
>lambdas using GMPLS, but without SONET/SDH? I don't work on
>that layer (physical L1) enough to know the interactions
>between L1/L2, but it seems that simplification is
>desirable. Possibly using MPX (MPLS over PPP over X) instead
>of traditional POS?
>
>There are many reasons to keep SONET/SDH, for example,
>protection switching. Is it possible that MPLS / GMPLS could
>offer similar solutions that would have a competitive
>advantage? Maybe someone at MPLScon will have an answer. See
>you there.

Yes, and probably more advanced protection switching with more
efficient resource use.