To make things even more interesting...

While discussing this with a few different vendors I decided
that this particular solution is smoke-and-mirrors, at least in
our area.  We'd have to buy new point-to-point circuits that
all point to a _single_ POP.

MPLS isn't even needed in this case because every location
would be hitting the same POP!  Unless, of course, they have a
whole bunch of routers at the POP but then we're really using
MPLS to get from one side of the room to the other.

We'd be better off simply buying a couple of frame DS3 circuits
for our hub and repointing all the branch PVCs to those
circuits.  Cheaper and we accomplish the same thing without
using another vendor and without buying a whole bunch of new
circuits.

In fact, one vendor that I asked about this proposed this very
solution, except he was suggesting we use their facilities.
They offered to set up a couple of routers exclusively for our
company to connect to.  Again, we don't really accomplish much
with that solution since we can do that at our own facility if
we want to.

John

---- On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Kent Yu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> John,
>
> I think you brought an interesting topic.
>
> With all these pitches about Layer 3 VPN, the question has
been
> bothering me
> for a while, how many enterprises out there really need to
have an
> any-to-any solution? Less than 0.5% is my guess. Most of the
enterprise
> client/server  applications fit into the hub-spoke topology
pretty well,
> really have no reasons to get direct connections among their
branches.

> Theoretically, MPLS should give the service providers the
ability to
> provide
> more scalable and cheaper fully meshed VPN solution, as the
SPs do not
> have
> to manage those hundreds of thousands PVCs, ect. From the
enterprises'
> perspective, if this gives them a reliable and affordable
alternative to
> the
> traditional hub-spoke frame relay network, it sounds
attractive, but
> seems
> to me all the current implementations are even more
expensive, not to
> mention their reliability probably is no where near the
legacy frame
> network, at least not for a while.
>

> The vendors want to sell their MPLS VPN solutions to SPs, the
SPs who
> built
> the network want to sell it enterprises , but my guess is
that 99%
> enterprises will not buy it, not till...
>

> My .02
>
> Kent
>
> ""John Neiberger""  wrote in message
> > Okay, I'm about to show how clueless I am when it comes to
MPLS....

> > I've been getting calls from multiple providers lately all
trying to
> > suggest that I migrate our 100-site frame relay network to
their MPLS
> > network, suggesting that we'll have any-to-any connectivity
and the
> > ability to prioritize traffic classes within the MPLS
network.

> > Are any of you doing something like this?  I'm going to
read up on it
> > but I'm having trouble visualizing it.  Does this basically
turn our
> > network into a giant multipoint network?  Do our branch
routers need
> > be aware of MPLS or do providers make this transparent
somehow?  How
> > does this affect routing?
> >
> > It seems that if we have any-to-any connectivity then the
branch
> > routers don't even need to run a routing protocol; every
router would
> > have one exit point to get to any destination.  But, how
would the
> MPLS
> > cloud know where to route packets?  The more I think about
it it seems
> > like our branch routers would have to participate in MPLS
to provide
> the
> > necessary destination info for the MPLS cloud.
> >
> > See how clueless I am?  Ugh...  Time to do some studying on
this.
> > Since we already do a little video conferencing over IP and
are
> working
> > on getting VoIP working, it might be beneficial to get away
from the
> > frame relay network.  But since I don't understand this new
> technology,
> > I don't know if it's  a viable solution for us or not.
> >
> > Off to CCO I go!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]