Kent, Irwin,

This is an interesting exchange of perspectives. Could you
or someone else comment on GMPLS? How does it factor into
the comparison of MPLS vs. FR? Is there anything about the
combination of MPLS / GMPLS that gives it an advantage over
FR?

Another issue I'd like to understand in this context is
native MPLS transport. Do you see a possibility in the
future for simplifying the transport of MPLS packets? In
other words, could one replace SONET/SDH with a simple
transmission layer X (whatever that might be)? The stack
,might look something like this:

 7                     7
 6                     6
 5                     5
 4                     4
 3   3             3   3
 2   2   2     2   2   2
 1   1   1  X  1   1   1

         ^     ^
         |     |
         +-----+
         native
          MPLS
          core

There in the middle, where the "native MPLS" core would be
in a greenfield network, is it possible to transport the
MPLS packets on a fiber medium, possibly on different
lambdas using GMPLS, but without SONET/SDH? I don't work on
that layer (physical L1) enough to know the interactions
between L1/L2, but it seems that simplification is
desirable. Possibly using MPX (MPLS over PPP over X) instead
of traditional POS?

There are many reasons to keep SONET/SDH, for example,
protection switching. Is it possible that MPLS / GMPLS could
offer similar solutions that would have a competitive
advantage? Maybe someone at MPLScon will have an answer. See
you there.

-- TT