In a 10Mb environ, what the heck!  I would speculate that double-up won't
make an ROI out of consolidation.

However, this brings up a nasty little problem I'm looking at, and I might
phrase this another way. "How many cascaded switching devices can exist in a
broadcast domain without creating unacceptable latency in the network?"

I see some scary practices with repeated arrays of inexpensive switches,
"RAIS", if you will.  Each time a new workstation room is set up, the answer
is to cascade more and more unmanaged hub/switches (sorry Cisco, it's a
money thing) on the rack or down the copper to the room, or both.  While the
sweetness of low cost is succulent, surely there is a theoretical limit of
how many members of a "RAIS array" one can cram into a building.

So, boy and girl wonders, I've heard the magic number of "7".  Anyone want
to "do the math"?

Very best and happy Friday, G.
VP OGC