let's start with the basic question - how many users? what is the duplex of
the switch links?

I continue to believe that your bottlenecks are: 1) the wireless bridge and
2) your internet setup.

assuming your interswitch links are 10 mbs full duplex, bypassing this with
a 128 kps ( duplex notwithstanding ) does not gain you anything, does it?

you might want to do the numbers, just for kicks. divide the bandwidth per
link by number of users under each scenario. this will help you see
concretely what is going on.

HTH

Chuck

""KM Reynolds""  wrote in message
> The reason for switch3 is, switch2 ran out of ports when the campus
> site(switch1) was added.  All the equipment is in one room.  Switch1 to
> switch2 is connected via fiber because switch1 is at a remote campus
> building.
>
> The Internet connection is to be added.  The reason for having the
Internet
> connection at the location of switch4 is that is the only site that ADSL
is
> available.
>
> I was concerned about the traffic that was destined to the Internet
gateway
> from the source switch1.  I thought there maybe a bottleneck at the point
> where data is passed from switch2 to switch3.  It seems with this design
> there should not be any latency issues.
>
> If I could ask you another question,(possible future addition) what if
> switch1 was located on another subnet.  The subnet is connected via
> ISDN(128K).   Does anyone see any problems with traffic going across an
ISDN
> link to switch to wireless link to switch to Internet.
>
> Thanks
> KM
>
> >From: "Priscilla Oppenheimer"
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: Switch Design Question [7:39888]
> >Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:12:32 -0500
> >
> >Do you know if there was a reason for Switch 3 being in the design?
That's
> >what I would try to find out....
> >
> >Maybe it was necessary because Switch 2 is located in a wiring closet,
> >whereas Switch 3 and the Wireless Bridge are in the main distribution
> >frame. Or maybe Switch 2 only has fiber-optic ports (not likely, but you
> >never know). Or maybe Switch 3 also connects a server farm. Or maybe the
> >network designer wanted to keep things modular, which is a good idea.
Maybe
> >the designer added Switch 3 to try to contain problems related to the
> >wireless bridge being flaky. Or maybe it's there just because that's the
> >equipment that was available and there's no budget for a bigger switch.
> >
> >These days switches are so fast that I don't think you need to be too
> >concerned about the switch adding any noticeable delay.
> >
> >But if there's no good reason for it being there, then you're right to
> >question it. Simplifying the design would have some advantages: fewer
> >devices to fail, a network design that is easier to understand and
> >troubleshoot, etc.
> >
> >If you do buy another switch, you could really go wild and design a
> >topology with more redundancy and fail-over in it! Use all the switches
> >maybe.
> >
> >Priscilla
> >
> >At 09:26 AM 3/29/02, KM Reynolds wrote:
> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >I am looking at this configuration:
> > >

>[PC]---[Switch1]---Fiber---[Switch2]---[Switch3]---[WirelessBridge]---dista
nce2miles---[WirelessBridge]---[4Switch10Mb]---[Router]---[ISPInternet]