Do you know if there was a reason for Switch 3 being in the design? That's
what I would try to find out....

Maybe it was necessary because Switch 2 is located in a wiring closet,
whereas Switch 3 and the Wireless Bridge are in the main distribution
frame. Or maybe Switch 2 only has fiber-optic ports (not likely, but you
never know). Or maybe Switch 3 also connects a server farm. Or maybe the
network designer wanted to keep things modular, which is a good idea. Maybe
the designer added Switch 3 to try to contain problems related to the
wireless bridge being flaky. Or maybe it's there just because that's the
equipment that was available and there's no budget for a bigger switch.

These days switches are so fast that I don't think you need to be too
concerned about the switch adding any noticeable delay.

But if there's no good reason for it being there, then you're right to
question it. Simplifying the design would have some advantages: fewer
devices to fail, a network design that is easier to understand and
troubleshoot, etc.

If you do buy another switch, you could really go wild and design a
topology with more redundancy and fail-over in it! Use all the switches
maybe.

Priscilla

At 09:26 AM 3/29/02, KM Reynolds wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am looking at this configuration:
>
>[PC]---[Switch1]---Fiber---[Switch2]---[Switch3]---[WirelessBridge]---distance2miles---[WirelessBridge]---[4Switch10Mb]---[Router]---[ISPInternet]
>
>The switches are all consist of 10Mb ports.  The question. Whould it not be
>a better design to take out switch2 and switch3 and replace it with one
>switch with more ports.  This would elimate one switch to traverse when the
>clients are accessing the Internet.
>
>Any thoughts on this or if you see other things that may help with the
>design.
>
>TIA
>KM

Priscilla Oppenheimer