Isn't the issue of the maximum number of cascaded switches mostly a
questions of how long it would take to reconfigure the spanning tree when
problems occur? A max of 7 is recommended based on the timing of
Configuration BPDUs, etc.

I don't think it's really an issue of how much latency is involved in
forwarding frames. The delay can be as small as 10 microseconds for 64-byte
Ethernet frames crossing high-end switches.

In this particular design, reconvergence of the spanning tree isn't really
an issue. His network is just one linear branch of a tree no matter how you
look at it! ;-) Of course, he could fix that........

Priscilla

At 11:51 AM 3/29/02, Hartnell, George wrote:
>In a 10Mb environ, what the heck!  I would speculate that double-up won't
>make an ROI out of consolidation.
>
>However, this brings up a nasty little problem I'm looking at, and I might
>phrase this another way. "How many cascaded switching devices can exist in a
>broadcast domain without creating unacceptable latency in the network?"
>
>I see some scary practices with repeated arrays of inexpensive switches,
>"RAIS", if you will.  Each time a new workstation room is set up, the answer
>is to cascade more and more unmanaged hub/switches (sorry Cisco, it's a
>money thing) on the rack or down the copper to the room, or both.  While the
>sweetness of low cost is succulent, surely there is a theoretical limit of
>how many members of a "RAIS array" one can cram into a building.
>
>So, boy and girl wonders, I've heard the magic number of "7".  Anyone want
>to "do the math"?
>
>Very best and happy Friday, G.
>VP OGC
>

> > Subject: Switch Design Question [7:39888]
> > I am looking at this configuration:
> >
> > [PC]---[Switch1]---Fiber---[Switch2]---[Switch3]---[WirelessBr
> > idge]---distance2miles---[WirelessBridge]---[4Switch10Mb]---[R
> > outer]---[ISPInternet]
> >
> > The switches are all consist of 10Mb ports.  The question.
> > Whould it not be
> > a better design to take out switch2 and switch3 and replace
> > it with one
> > switch with more ports.  This would elimate one switch to
> > traverse when the
> > clients are accessing the Internet.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com