> I guess I wasn't completely clear in my original post.

I think you were clear, but topics seem to drift as they move along.

> I have been in the IT field for 6 years and moved from
> desktop, to Novell, to NT, to Unix.  I passed the CNE
> and got a junior Novell position.  I passed the MCSE

That's the same progression that I made.  I started with a CNE in March of
`94,  went to Microsoft, and now onto Cisco.  I've never cared for Unix,
though (unless you consider OS-X to be Unix).

> finishing my CCIE.  I have my own home lab complete
> with 6 routers and a Catalyst 5000.  I would like to

You're ahead of many folks.  I need to find the money for a home lab.

> out on a limb assuming there are company's with 10 to
> 20 routers or resellers that need CCNPs or companies

There should be quite a few, actually.  Most resellers are not interesting
in paying for a CCIE, but they want the skillset.  With you breadth of
experience I should think you'd be a good candidate.  However, much of your
time at resellers isn't going to be Cisco work...I spent a lot more time
doing NT installs.

My recommendation would be to "network" and try to get yourself into a telco
or other telecom company.  A lot of those jobs are like you said...people
that recommend their friends/acquaintences.

> only about 5,000 CCIEs compared to 80,000 MCSEs or
> CNEs.  I was hooked.  Its not about the money, because

There are a lot of MCSE's but not so many MCSE+I's or MCSE's that are also
CNE's, CCNP's, etc.  It is the breadth of your skills that matters with many
jobs.