To be honest, this was a problem even when the tech market was hot.
Someone would graduate from a "CCNA bootcamp" but the problem was
getting into the job. The trick is you have to know someone. Or place
some bids on contracts for like 15$ an hour.

Now the economy is not so hot, so employers are big on filtering, like
using MCSE 2k as a gauge or other certs and degrees. They basicly are
hiring the cream of the crop now.

Another trick is get in a large company with a lower responsibility,
like "Help Desk" or "PC Support" "PC Janitor". Companies always promote
people within first, and they should have a database of jobs for you.
Beside your working there, so you know the setup.

Then get familiar with the network guys, buy them lunch :) Or just ask
questions about the network etc.

When I fail to find something, I just try twice as hard next time. There
is no free lunch though, so you gotta work your way up the ladder. But
don't give up.....