I don't recall the entire context of this particular discussion, but there
is an error in the commentary below that I wanted to correct.

>Unfortunately, the RFC only addresses virtual links as a means to repair
> a partitioned backbone.  It does not address providing bacbone
> connectivity to a non-backbone area.  Nor does the RFC discuss demand
circuits, which,
> of course, is a Cisco implementation.  So there may very well be a
> "gottcha" in  there that simply isn't addressed in the "official" OSPF
documentation.

RFC 1753 does indeed address OSPF demand circuits. They are not a "Cisco
implimentation"

A virtual link is a kind of demand circuit, and is described in RFC 1753 as
well.

Us router jocks sometimes can forget that the folks who designed the
standards put a lot of thought into the process. If something wasn't
covered, or something came up subsequent to the original standard, it tends
to get addressed later.

Chuck