From: Chuck Larrieu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Mon 2/4/2002 8:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OSPF DR problem [7:34379]

        Cil, I drew this one out a little differently just to put a fresh
        perspective on it.  Without seeing the requirements of the particular
        practice lab you are using, it's hard to say why you were seeing or not
        seeing what you did.

                            area 0
                |                                            |
              R1                                        R2
                |                                            |
         frame relay   area 1              ISDN     area 1
                |                                            |
              R9                                        R8
                |                                            |
        --------------                          -------------
            area 2

        The discontiguous area 1's are irrelevant unless there is overlapping
        addressing. The area 2 is placed the way it is in order to force the
        creation of a virtual link - common in practice labs and study materials, as
        all us CCIE candidates know full well ;->

        I am inferring from other comments in other posts that you needed to use the
        IP ospf priority command on the R2 ethernet because the requirement is that
        R1 is the DR in area 0.

        So, given what I see ( not knowing the particulars of your addressing and
        various other things, there is no good reason why R9 and R8 should not see
        the ethernet network that is area 0.

        Along the trail of broken things, I have sometimes run across bizarre issues
        which are solved only by reloading routers. My humble pod of 2501's running
        enterprise 12.1.11 code sometimes have bizarre problems. I have a theory
        that these bloatware images just barely operate within the confined spaces
        of 16 megs of DRAM and sometimes you have to clear it out. I have had
        bizarre things happen when configuring and unconfiguring various routing
        protocols and features. Sometimes, admittedly, mistakes happen when you are
        tired, and you can't see straight to correct errors you have made. But other
        times, reloads have made magic happen. I am at the point where I am thinking
        about backloading to an IOS build that takes less space, just to see if the
        occasional weirdness disappears.

        Again, based upon what I have seen throughout this thread, and given that
        your areas and other configurations are correct, I see no reason why  the
        area 0 network should not be visible from R9 and R8.

        Chuck

        PS as has been discussed here and elsewhere many a time, good practice and
        good design have little in common with the CCIE Lab ;->

        PPS which practice lab are you looking at? I have NLI, IPExpert, and
        SolutionLabs at my disposal.