This is why I didn't make too big of a deal about the two instances of
area one.  I know a discontiguous area 0 is bad, but I seemed to recall
that it doesn't matter if there are multiple instances of other areas.
I wasn't sure of that, though, it was just in the back of my mind.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

John

>>> "Chuck Larrieu"  2/5/02 12:07:24 AM >>>
Two comments:

1) so long as there is an area 0, and all other areas connect to it,
those
other areas can all be area 1 ( or any other arbitrary number ) and
there
will be no reachability problems. This assumes no overlapping subnets.
Other
than making summarization a bear, there is nothing "wrong" with doing
it
this way. Bad practice and bad design, but not bad behaviour.

2) I'm interested in your rationale as to why a discontiguous area 1
would
in and of itself cause a problem with routers in either of the
discontiguous
areas such that they cannot see area 0 routes. I can't think of one
myself,
which may or may not mean anything.

Chuck

""Dusty Harper""  wrote in message
> Maybe Discontiguous is the wrong word for it.    The problem I see
with
this
> design is that there is basically 2 Area 1s.  The point -to- point
> connections would be fine, however in order for the Areas to
function
> properly they need to know of each other ( all of Area 1 as a whole
needs
> know of the other)  This is done via LSA Types 1 and 2.  I know the
> reasoning for the Area 2, however I still stand behind the notion
that if
> you were to change the Frame-Relay Area to 3 your problem would be
solved

> You might also get around this by changing from point to point to a
> non-broadcast environment and specify all of your neighbors Router
IDs'  :
> R1 (S0) R2(BRI0) R9(S0) and R8(BRI0) on each of the routers.

overlapping
> addressing. The area 2 is placed the way it is in order to force the
> creation of a virtual link - common in practice labs and study
materials,
as
> all us CCIE candidates know full well ;->
>
> I am inferring from other comments in other posts that you needed to
use
the
> IP ospf priority command on the R2 ethernet because the requirement
is
that
> R1 is the DR in area 0.
>
> So, given what I see ( not knowing the particulars of your addressing
and
> various other things, there is no good reason why R9 and R8 should
not see
> the ethernet network that is area 0.
>
> Along the trail of broken things, I have sometimes run across
bizarre
issues
> which are solved only by reloading routers. My humble pod of 2501's
running
> enterprise 12.1.11 code sometimes have bizarre problems. I have a
theory
> that these bloatware images just barely operate within the confined
spaces
> of 16 megs of DRAM and sometimes you have to clear it out. I have
had
> bizarre things happen when configuring and unconfiguring various
routing
> protocols and features. Sometimes, admittedly, mistakes happen when
you
are
> tired, and you can't see straight to correct errors you have made.
But
other
> times, reloads have made magic happen. I am at the point where I am
thinking
> about backloading to an IOS build that takes less space, just to see
if
the
> occasional weirdness disappears.
>
> Again, based upon what I have seen throughout this thread, and given
that
> your areas and other configurations are correct, I see no reason why
the
> area 0 network should not be visible from R9 and R8.
>
> Chuck
>
> PS as has been discussed here and elsewhere many a time, good
practice and
> good design have little in common with the CCIE Lab ;->
>
> PPS which practice lab are you looking at? I have NLI, IPExpert, and
> SolutionLabs at my disposal.
>

> ""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> > Remember, I think from a design point of view. I say "for some
reason
> > there's an Area 2" because I think it's a bad design not because I
was
> > surprised to see it there in the show output. ;-) But thanks for
replying,
> > because it made me question my expectations.
> >
> > Here's what part of the network design looks like:
> >
> >           ---R2---Area-1-ISDN----R8---Area-1-Ethernet
> >   Area 0  |
> > Ethernet |
> >           ---R1---Area-1-Frame Relay---R9---Area-2-Ethernet
> >
> > When I did a "show ip route" on R9 and R8 I thought I would see
the
> > Ethernet LAN in Area 0. That was not a logical expectation? I
should
just
> > see a default route on ABRs?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Priscilla

> > >Priscilla,
> > >
> > >There must be at least three areas involved in a virtual link.  So
I am
> > >intrigued by the phantom area 2.  What area were you expecting to
see
on
> the
> > >other side of area 1?  In your case, it seems as if the ABRs are
directly
> > >connected.  That is to say, the transit area is in essence a
p-t-p
> > >connection.  That isn't always necessarily the case so I don't
think
OSPF
> > >makes any kind of distinction.  As I understand it, the virtual
> > >connection/tunnel is treated like an unnumbered one.  So the
network
> > >statements have to be in place for the transit area in both
routers,
area
> 0
> > >in the backbone ABR, and the discontiguous area in the
discontiguous
ABR.
> > >So that is the basis for my interest in your phantom area 2.
> > >
> > >Of course, this doesn't seem to be in any way related to why you
wouldn't
> be
> > >able to see the area 0 network across the ISDN connection.  The
> interesting
> > >parallel is that virtual links and demand circuits are both
treated the
> > >same.  That is, the DNA bit is set for routes learned via either
one.
So