I guess my point is that you will eventually hit a point in your career
where you have to decide if you want to stay technical or go into
management. For everyone it is different. For me it was a no brainer - I
hated the paperwork and budgets ect. But another thing to keep in mind is
like you said where do you want to be when your are 50. For me middle
management is the pits. I have seen people come to work here and get their
MBA degree from U of M at night paid for by the company. Did it hurt their
careers? No for sure not. But did they ever make it out of middle management
- no. Maybe other companies are different but to make it here you have to
have to pedigree comming out of school i.e. stick it out for an MBA and it
better be from a top tier (and no U of M is not on the list) school. If not
you will never see an upper management position.