In my experience, either side can close the case.

I've had TAC close cases that were not even close to being resolved.  I
assume that there's some type of reward structure for closing cases quickly.

On another topic, has anyone had the experience that TAC is perhaps
slipping a bit when it comes to the quality of the first line engineers?  I
don't remember having any problems with TAC until about the time Cisco's
stock price started seriously dropping.  Since that time, I've had several
occurrences where I've had extremely rude and/or incompetent people
initially handle my TAC cases.  In each instance, I've had to get rude back
and insist that they drop the case and transfer me to their
supervisor.  Once transferred, I got the superior TAC support that I'm used
to.  I spoke with a colleague about this, and he told me that he's had
exactly the same experience.  What's been your experience?  Has this
happened with increasing frequency to any of you?

Craig