Here's the conclusion, since a few people have wondered about it. By the
way, the question had to do with an external CSU/DSU.

According to Cisco documentation, a down/down serial interface means the
router interface cannot determine that CD has been asserted. As mentioned
earlier, a CSU/DSU acts more like a DSU than a CSU and presents a
synchronous signal to the router. The CSU/DSU must assert Data Carrier
Detect (DCD or CD), Data Set Ready (DSR), and Clear to Send (CTS). The
router, which is playing the DTE role, must assert Data Terminal Ready
(DTR) and Request to Send (RTS). For all these control leads to be
asserted, and for the router to recognize that they are asserted, the
router and CSU/DSU hardware must be operational, and the cabling must be
properly constructed.

However, even if all hardware checks out, there are still cases when the
interface may be down/down or flapping between up/up, up/down, and
down/down. For example, some CSU/DSUs won't assert CD if the link to the
carrier is having problems. In these cases, check the CSU/DSU
configuration. Make sure the right clocking, framing, and encoding are
configured. If they are correctly configured, then call the service
provider and work with the provider to isolate the problem.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com