""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> I guess the question is too hard for a practice test if NOBODY can answer
> it!?

CL: surprise surprise we all THINK we know the answer byt realy we don't ;->

> Here's the thing: Cisco says that a down/down interface means the router
> interface is not sensing a Carrier Detect signal (that is, the CD is not
> active).
>
> Now, from my studies of V.35 I know that data carrier detect (DCD or CD)
> comes from the DCE side of the V.35 link, carried on pin 8, yadda, yadda.
> It comes from the data interface on the DSU side of the CSU/DSU.
>
> If the router is correctly connected to the CSU/DSU, will it see CD or
does
> the answer depend on whether the CSU/DSU is also correctly talking to the
> telco?
>
> Does "carrier detect" mean literally what it sounds like it means? Would
> the CSU/DSU not assert CD if there was a problem on the telco side? And
> hence the router wouldn't see CD and would say the interface was
down/down.

CL: in my old dial up to the BBS days, I always interpreted "carrier" as
essentially a completed telephone call. I've carried that "idea" into the T1
world I live in now. however, I think we all know the problem with Frame or
ATM, where the line is up ( i.e. there is carrier ) because of LMI or the
ATM equivalent signalling, so dial backup doesn't kick in, even though end
to end is down.

> Not something I can easily test. Maybe I better simplify the question. ;-)

CL: personally, I enjoy getting into the nitty gritty of how things really
work. Not that I need to, or that it is necessary, even in the certification
quest. It just serves to broaden the perspective. It never hurts to
understand things a bit better.

> Priscilla
>
> At 06:34 PM 6/20/02, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> >Hi Group Study,
> >
> >While writing some questions for a practice test, I found myself
> >questioning what I thought was the right answer. Here's the scenario:
> >
> >A Cisco router serial interface is correctly connected with a good V.35
> >cable to the data port on the DSU side of a CSU/DSU. The CSU/DSU has been
> >misconfigured for the framing method (SF instead of ESF). The framing
> >doesn't match what the provider is using. (The question refers to a
CSU/DSU