I guess the question is too hard for a practice test if NOBODY can answer
it!?

Here's the thing: Cisco says that a down/down interface means the router
interface is not sensing a Carrier Detect signal (that is, the CD is not
active).

Now, from my studies of V.35 I know that data carrier detect (DCD or CD)
comes from the DCE side of the V.35 link, carried on pin 8, yadda, yadda.
It comes from the data interface on the DSU side of the CSU/DSU.

If the router is correctly connected to the CSU/DSU, will it see CD or does
the answer depend on whether the CSU/DSU is also correctly talking to the
telco?

Does "carrier detect" mean literally what it sounds like it means? Would
the CSU/DSU not assert CD if there was a problem on the telco side? And
hence the router wouldn't see CD and would say the interface was down/down.

Not something I can easily test. Maybe I better simplify the question. ;-)

Priscilla

At 06:34 PM 6/20/02, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>Hi Group Study,
>
>While writing some questions for a practice test, I found myself
>questioning what I thought was the right answer. Here's the scenario:
>
>A Cisco router serial interface is correctly connected with a good V.35
>cable to the data port on the DSU side of a CSU/DSU. The CSU/DSU has been
>misconfigured for the framing method (SF instead of ESF). The framing
>doesn't match what the provider is using. (The question refers to a CSU/DSU
>that is external to the router, not one that is built into the router.)
>
>Will the Cisco router serial interface be down/down or up/down?
>
>And, would the answer be any different if the question has to do with
>misconfiguring the encoding (AMI versus B8ZS)?
>
>If you have real-world experience with this, that would help. I have read
>the Cisco documentation and the troubleshooting charts, etc.
>
>Thanks
>
>Priscilla

>Priscilla Oppenheimer
>http://www.priscilla.com