WEP for starters, then you can set the acccess point to only accept
connections from specific MAC addresses.  You can implement LEAP on the
cisco AP, radius/tacacs+ requiring user/pass.  Then you could place the AP
outside the LAN/Firewall and require VPN to access the LAN resources.

Cisco has good whitepaper on securing wireless.  What you have experienced
pretty common.

Chris